I don’t know about you, but I love to barbecue. Or grill. Or, basically anytime I get to cook meat over fire. But there’s one thing that I hate, and that’s lighter fluid. So, to remedy that I choose to light my charcoal in a chimney. My loving wife gifted me a new grill this summer for my 31st birthday, and I knew right then that I would ONLY use lump charcoal instead of briquettes, (Keep an eye out for my upcoming article on charcoal) and if you’re going to go natural, you might as well go all the way. Now, in order to do so I knew I needed a good chimney. So, while in the big chain store one day, I decided to go have a look at their selection. Boy, oh boy was I ever surprised! $23.99 for what amounts to a rolled up piece of sheet metal!!!! Well, I wasn’t having all that. I knew I had some sheet metal laying around (heck, a coffee can would suffice). So, off to the workshop I went. Armed with a sharpie and a tape measure, I began plotting out the placement of air holes as well as the pilot holes for the seam. The details and dimensions are solely up to you. This project can be scaled up/down depending on your own needs, the only thing that can’t change is putting holes in it, fire needs air to breath. If you finish your chimney and the fire never seems to really take off, you need more/bigger holes. After a few minutes with the tin snips and the drill, I was ready for assembly. Within 20 minutes of being home I had a fire lit in the grill, ready for burgers, with only a few dollars’ worth of materials.
Here’s a few shots of mine, after a few runs of course. -D